Saturday

Softball!

Played my first company softball game tonight. We lost 18-10. Real Bad-News Bears style. They scored seven runs in the first inning, we scored zip. My first at bat, I got hit in the arm by my own fly ball.

We rallied in later innings, but never got closer than four runs. My game highlight was hitting a 2-run RBI single in the last inning, although I then promptly got tagged out (to end the game!) because I was caught off first base after someone caught a line drive. Bummer.

I was starting to have flashbacks of being on the West University Softball All-Stars Team in 6th and 7th grade. We would go to tournament games with other leagues and get our asses handed to us. We'd lose 30-0, easily. There was no "mercy" rule, so we'd just chant mean things to the other team. The "You Ugly" chants were our go-to:

u-g-l-y
you ain't got no alibi

you ugly
yeah yeah
you ugly

brother sam
sister sue
they're both ugly
just like you

you ugly
yeah yeah
you ugly

y-l-g-u
yo mamma's ugly
just like you

you ugly
yeah yeah
you ugly

Classic!!

We also made up our own chants, mostly based on the fact that the girls on the other teams were about twice our size. They were big girls. Most would go on to play college ball, I'm sure. The one chant I always remember is:

Get back
Get back
Get back
to the woods
your team ain't got no class
and your coach is no good

I should have pulled that one out at tonight's game. The other team was full of bruisers.

Jesse from my improv group is going to loan me "The Mental Game of Baseball". It's going to keep me from making mental mistakes (see: fly ball in 2nd inning of tonight's game). I can't wait!


Yes, I am wearing the same glasses.

1 comment:

  1. an addition to the UGLY chant I always liked was:
    M-A-M-A
    How'd you think you got that way
    Your Mama
    Your Mama

    P-A-P-A
    Who'd you think ran away
    Your Papa
    Your
    Papa

    -trisha

    ReplyDelete